Monday, July 19, 2010

Blueberries for Arthur

Erin and I went blueberry picking in Canton, Georgia with the little guys.  Both Quinn and Art LOVE blueberries so we thought this was appropriate.  It is funny to drive up to someone's house just to pick their crops.  We just pulled up onto their front lawn and they greeted us.  The blueberries were plentiful.   

I have a Baby Ergo carrier that allows you to hold your baby on the front, side, or back.  I tried the side, but that was difficult and he got in the way.  I eventually moved him to the back.  I couldn't see what he was doing, but he did ok for a bit.  He grabbed some leaves off of plants and tried to pick his own blueberries.  I eventually had to "feed the meter" so he would let me continue.  It cost me about one blueberry every minute though.  When Erin was finished, she offered to watch him so I could keep picking.  It was a huge help!

Here they are with their hands in the bucket.

Again, closer up.

Quinn didn't do a ton of picking, but luckily the family was very nice and didn't mind him running around.  He is well behaved so he stayed close by.

This doesn't look like a lot, but there are 7 lbs in here!  I was hoping to fill the bucket, but after 1 1/2 hours of picking and a crabby baby, I thought it was enough.

We were both a tad bit hot and sweaty.  We went early in the morning so it was in the high 70s and maybe low 80s.  It doesn't help that I had to keep him in the carrier most of the time. 

Here's Erin trying to hold him. 

Here's a blueberry bush.  I need to plant one of these in my yard. The pink ones are getting ready to be ripe.  It was difficult to stop since you could see blue ones on the bush.  I told Erin it was addictive!

Here's my crop at home.  The owner said to leave them out to ripen a little more.  They are tasty! These 7 lbs cost us $12.  $12 for tons organic blueberries!  Now I'm off to find recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment